Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Husband and I are starting a farm in Sterling, North Dakota. Where do we start?

What crops grow best in that area with that weather? Should we have livestock as well? What kind of livestock? We have a lot of land and strong wills. This is what we want to do for a living and for our own food. What is the best way to get us started? What do we do from there?My Husband and I are starting a farm in Sterling, North Dakota. Where do we start?
I was born and raised on a farm. I would suggest you start by working one someone else's farm for a while and learn by doing. There is a huge amount of work in farming and it never stops.





It is going to take a lot more than a strong will to make a go of farming in this day and age.





I will make one other comment. If you can find a specialty crop that demands a high price and your market area doesn't have any competition then you have a better chance.My Husband and I are starting a farm in Sterling, North Dakota. Where do we start?
Check with the local farm bureau, or the state agricultural department. They will know what grows well and where you can get soil tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment