Thursday, July 29, 2010

My husband has red hair and I have brown. What are the chances that our baby will have red hair?

He is the only red head in his immediate family. He got his red hair from his great grandfather I think.My husband has red hair and I have brown. What are the chances that our baby will have red hair?
Normally hair color is controlled by many genes than can give to a wide range of colors from light blond to dark brown depending on what your parents have. However, red hair is special:) Getting red hair is actually a recessive trait that has to come from BOTH parents. Each one has to supply the gene for it to occur. Think of red hair as being the trump card of hair colors. Doesn't matter what else you have, when the 2 come together, red it is! Now, your husband has red hair. Guess what, he has no choice but to pass on the gene:) What it's actually going to come down to is you. Is there ANY red hair in your family at all? Anyone you can think of? The red hair gene is rare, and as your husband knows, it might take a long time for 2 red hair genes to find each other again!





However, if you are not a carrier of the gene, there is a 0 chance your child will have red hair. If you are a carrier, it's a 50/50 shot. If you don't have the gene, your children's hair will be any where in the range of your hair to his family's hair colors.





**Edit** I'm afraid the people above me a bit misguided when it comes to genetics. they have the recessive part right, but the rest is wrong.My husband has red hair and I have brown. What are the chances that our baby will have red hair?
I'm in the same situation as you. Except I'm the one with the red hair and he's the one with brown. But I have heard that men carry the gene more than women. It really depends on your whole family background and his as well. I would say you have a 50/50 chance. But if he is the carrier for red hair, then your baby will def. be red headed. Either way your baby will be beautiful, red hair is becoming extinct and everywhere I go someone compliments me on it. You really wont know until if comes out.. :) GOOD LUCK!
I have red hair my partner has brown. My son has strawberry blonde hair. It's redder in the sunlight. I got my red hair from my grandfather as well.


I was worried about this, I really didn't want my son to have RED-RED hair because I know how it was for me as a child.


I doubt your child will have red hair, maybe some hints of red like my son, and I must say it is a beautiful color.
Red hair is a recessive gene and the color of your child's hair depend on which genes take overrule. More than likely, if you have no red head in your genes and he has a gene other than red then your child probably won't be a red head.
Genetics are very complicated, and red-hair is definitely recessive. I'd say the chances are low, but you never know.
Not big chances at all...brown is more prominent than red. But hey! Don't loose hope, the baby might come out as red as daddy...
I don't think it's that big of a chance that it will have red hair. But why would that matter?
Since red hair is a recessive gene, the chances most likely are 20/80. 20% he will have red hair. I believe :) you'll have to let us know how it turns out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment