Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Husband is really in to cars, I would like to learn to suprise him. Where do I start?

I want to take more interest in my husbands hobby. He is really into cars and racing. He has a GTO that he is alway working on. I want to be able to talk to him and show interest in this. I am tired of feeling like a stupid girl when he talks about the subject, but don't know where to start. Can someone please give me some ideas?My Husband is really in to cars, I would like to learn to suprise him. Where do I start?
The gesture to want to take more interest in your husband's hobby is a good one. It sounds to me, and maybe I'm wrong here, that you just don't wish to feel excluded when he is in his ';zone'; working on the GTO or ';bench racing'; with his buddies. It's normal. And you are not a ';stupid'; girl, you used intelligence in asking for help.


First, let him know that you would like to share that time with him. Stand back and listen to the terminology used, The key is to listen and observe, mechanics and hobbiest use ';car slang'; for names of the parts of cars so it can get confusing for those that are not familiar with the ';lingo';. Go to the library and do some research. There used to be a series of high performance books by Peterson publications called ';Basic _____'; such as Basic Carburetors, Basic suspension, basic engines, etc. , you get the idea. They are a good, easy to understand publication with lots of good pictures of components that will help you understand the basics. The GTO, and I hope I assumed correctly that it is a 64 to 70's GTO and not a new one, if it is an early one it is very basic and the technology used for that vehicle will be well covered in the Peterson publications. Once you start to recognize the things he is talking about you can ask him more about them and offer some input.


The newer plastic, electronic and computerized vehicles are more technical than the early ones.


Try not to ask questions while he is elbows deep in the car. You might ask if you can help. When he is NOT busy, start by asking him to identify and explain the tools to you. Learn the tools so that you can help him when he is working on something (get a Snap-on or Mac Tool catalog). He will appreciate you being able to hand him the correct tool so that he is not crawling in and out of the car. Don't be afraid of getting some oil or grease on your hands. There are eco-friendly hand cleaners such as Stochhauson - Kresto EF that is excellent and economical if used as directed and it doesn't ruin your skin.


That's a start , you can email me if want more tips.My Husband is really in to cars, I would like to learn to suprise him. Where do I start?
http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/
Tell him you love his big cam shaft, then make love out in the garage on the hood of his GTO.
yeah, listen to him, ask questions, and devout some effort to learning something, but also its not what you know that counts all the time, but your will to know would be most signficant. and an outting to the drag strip for a national event, im sure he would like that too.
buy a book on GTO's and read it
First of all, good idea would be to grab a Car %26amp; Driver Magazine and look through it and read some of the articals and secificly look for some ';Lingo'; Just so you understand maybe somethings he might be talking about. And find an interest of your own about a kind of car you want some day. If he's into Pontiac then he really wants to work on his car alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment