Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My dog will only walk with me and my husband is unable to take him without me. How do I remedy that?

I adopted him at age 4, chocolate lab, male, he's now 9 and I've been with my husband for 2 years now. He loves my husband so much but won't walk with him unless I'm present. How do we fix this issue?My dog will only walk with me and my husband is unable to take him without me. How do I remedy that?
Have you husband walk him without you there. He's got you under his paw. He needs to learn that your husband is in control of him as well as you, you need to let them work that out without your intervention. Get some really really good treats, not the everyday stuff, but cooked chicken or something of that nature, have your husband take him on a walk, and lure him along with the chicken. Also have you husband spend time doing obedience with him daily, sit, lay down, stay, paw, etc. This will change the dog views on who is higher in the chain of command. Good Luck!My dog will only walk with me and my husband is unable to take him without me. How do I remedy that?
The way I'd go about it is, both of you go walkies, let your husband take the leash and get your husband to give lots of praise and if necessary food rewards. As you go further on the walk, drop back so you are out of the dogs sight and see how he reacts, if your man can keep him moving you can slip back and see what happens.
When you are taking him on a walk together, slowly relenish control of the leash and start slowly disappearing. Let your husband take the lead and slowly back off and eventually disappear. Have your husband carry treats and praise him every time he does well. The dog trusts you and is attached to you and he needs to know that he can do the same with your husband. He is no longer my dog, he is our dog.





Good Luck!
Your husband needs to accompany you on the walks to get your dog to see that he is part of the walk too, eventually you dog will see your husband as part of the walk, and associate your husband and a leash as a recipe for a good walk.
Won't walk with him? What does that mean? If he's on a leash and your husband walks, how can the dog NOT walk with him?





I suggest your husband take the dog to obedience class.
Realize that the dog isn't your boss, you're his master.





Your husband needs to get him on leash, get him outside and praise him everytime he walks with him.
make the dog go without you
Try a swift kick in the butt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment