Friday, August 20, 2010

My husband got stationed in Korea and stopped helping me financially?

I know he is still getting BAH money to help me out. I know he is also probably over our relationship and wants to move on. But I got left high and dry with all of his things and this apartment that I can't afford by myself. I'm trying to move and pick up the pieces, but is there anyway I can go to a JAG office and compel him to help me. Or at the very least shut off the BAH money he is continuing to pocket. We live in California and the BAH money is over $2,000 a month.My husband got stationed in Korea and stopped helping me financially?
Hello Beth,





You write a letter to his Commander in Korea. You tell him that your husband has stopped supporting you since (name the date).





Military regulations require that a military person support his dependents.





Until he and you divorce he is obligated to support you, even from Korea.





What will happen is that the Commander will call in the First Sergeant and show him the letter. The First Sergeant will call in your husband and ask him why he is not supporting his dependents.





Such oversight will encourage your husband to sent you support money. If not, he is violating Army regulations for dependent care.





Usually, one can not divorce when they are overseas because they are not in US state jurisdiction.





Best wishes,





Larry Smith


SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)


First SergeantMy husband got stationed in Korea and stopped helping me financially?
The military is very strict on families being supported. After a marital separation or divorce if the military member does not meet his financial obligations to his wife and/or children they will strip the money from his paycheck and pay it directly to you. He will never see a penny of the money that is meant for family, the pay that ends up in his hands will be very small indeed.





Often when a sailor does this they actually give the wife/ex-wife MORE than she would have been entitled to because of his actions, as a punitive measure.
I had the same problem. I sent an email to his commanding officer and everything suddenly was fixed without me having to do anything. His CO even required him to show up to the divorce, which he had been trying to avoid.
Call the Inspector General (IG) office at the nearest military installation. Tell them what is going on and they will take care of it.
He is required by law to support his family. Go to the JAG office. If that does not work, consider selling all his stuff then filing for divorce.
Call his command and get this taken care of. Even if he doesn't want to be in the married any more he still has responsibilities to his family.





Good luck
You are right-you have to go to the officers that can force him to pay the support. Good luck.
You can go in and talk to them and explain the situation and see if they can help you. However, they may not have much control over it. I mean, the BAH goes into his paycheck to help pay for housing, and is deposited with the rest of the paycheck, its just a separate allotment on their check. They may be able to shut it off, but I dont think they are able to unless you guys were no longer married. I am no expert, I dont think anyone really is about this kind of thing, the best thing you can do is talk to someone and see if there is anything they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment