Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What to do with children during holidays when husband and I are separated?

How should we spend Thanksgiving and Christmas while we are separated? Last year, we spent Thanksgiving as a family and then went on a vacation during Christmas (although we were separated then). This year, my husband is living with someone else so I'm not sure how we should handle the holidays. My daughter is not too comfortable being around her father and his girlfriend, so what should we do?What to do with children during holidays when husband and I are separated?
Help your daughter to learn how to be comfortable around her father. Talk to her about her concerns, brainstorm with her to come up with solutions that respect her father and that encourage a growing, healthy relationship with him.





You %26amp; your ex should make a plan that works best for both sides of you children's family. If you all want to do holidays together, then that's great. If you'd rather keep them separate, then do so with respect towards each other and the children. If you want to find a combination of these things, that's fine, too - one or two things together -and- building new traditions on your own, in the newly shaped family groups.What to do with children during holidays when husband and I are separated?
Well you need to split it up. Thanksgiving every other year. Christmas- two families have to share. Christmas eve one year, Christmas day another.





It has worked out quite well with my oldest and her dad. Everyone is divoreced and we end up having to go to 4 christmas's in 24 hours. But everyone is happy, I guess that is what matters.
I guess your only options would be to spend the holidays with YOUR family, or if that isn't possible, perhaps you could just try and plan on doing something yourself at home, and perhaps inviting a few family members to your place for Thanksgiving, and Christmas.





If none of that is possible, then you just have to explain to the kids that this is one good example of how sometimes in life people just have to deal with hard times and difficult situations and do the best they can.... always remembering that there are millions of people around the world who would swap places with you in a heartbeat because, compared to their miseries, they would find your life just wonderful.
Maybe you could arrange for your husband to come over of Christmas morning to watch the children open presents. Then let him have them on Thanksgiving. Or maybe work it out so that he can have them on Christmas Eve until a certain time and then brings them home... then comes over Christmas morning for a little while, eats breakfast with the kids and you and then you have them for the rest of the day. (?) Hope it works out. That's a tough one.
I would say that this year you have the kids for the holidays and let your husband come over and spend time with them without his girlfriend.
Is the girlfriend the cause of the breakup of your marriage? If so, your husband made his choice and it is up to you and your children.


If not, grit your teeth and invite him for tea, or something short and sweet. Talk to the kids and see what they want.
Unfortunately, your daughter will have to get used to whomever you or your estranged spouse date. My ex-husband and I split the holidays, he gets my daughter Thanksgiving on the odd numbered years, me on the even, Christmas I get odd years he gets the even years. He and I also live close enough that if I also want her some during the Christmas season I can have her at least 1/2 the day. It is what you make it.. If you make it difficult then that is what it will be, flexibility for the benefit of the child is what is most important.
Fortunately i'm a guy. But, honestly, if i were you. I will take my children with me. I would try my very best to be with my dearest child and play with my kids..





I wouldn't care much about my wife anymore... My kid is the most important thing in my life now.. they'll bring me joy and happiness of my life.. And i will always treasure every moment me and my kids had together...





Well... i hope you'll stay with your kids...
I wont have this problem because there is no way I will let my kids go off with my ex-wife.
Pehaps you could arrange for him to take them to his families house this Thanksgiving. And then you can have him join your and the children on Christmas morning, without his new girlfriend, and then leave while you spend Christmas with the kids.
how sad this all is. but the kids come first, so i say every adult suck it up and make the holidays about the kids. if that means you have to spend time with him and her - and they have to spend time with you - so be it! its two days out of the year.


either that, or he has them one holiday and you the next.
Get a web cam over the computer kk
I don't know what your relationship is like with your ex...and I am not divorced...but if I were in your situation and I wanted to make the holidays enjoyable for my children I would ask my husband and his girlfriend to host Thanksgiving dinner at their house (with my name included on the guest list) then I would spend Christmas morning at home with the children and invite the ex and the girlfriend to my house for Christmas dinner. It might not be 100% ccomfortable, but I would suck it up for the kid's sake
watever the children want! it's not about you if you guys really love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment